Shri Guru Hargobind Ji, passes away 6 Chet 19 Mar
Summary of the main highlights of Shri Guru Har Gobind's life:
1. transformed the Sikh fraternity by introducing martial arts and weapons for the defence of the masses following his father's martyrdom.
2. Militarised the Sikh movement – carried two swords of Miri and Piri.
3. Built the Akal Takht in 1608 – which is now one of five Takhts (Seats of Power) of the Sikhs.
4. Founded the city of Kiratpur in District Jalandhar, Punjab.
5. He was imprisoned in the fort of Gwalior for one year and on release insisted that 52 fellow prisoners be freed as well. To mark this occasion, the Sikhs celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas.
6. The first Guru to engage in warfare.
7. Fought four battles against the Mughal rulers.
8. The city Hargobindpur, in Majha region of Punjab, is named after him, which he won over from Mughals after defeating them in a battle.