Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib is a historic gurdwara near Parliament House in New Delhi. It was built in 1783, after Sikh military leader Baghel Singh (1730–1802) captured Delhi, on 11 March 1783, and his brief stay in Delhi, led to the construction of several Sikh religious shrines within the city. This one marks the site of cremation of the ninth Sikh guru,Guru Tegh Bahadur, after his execution in November 1675, under orders of Aurangzeb. The gurudwara built near old Raisina village near Raisina Hill, at present Pandit Pant Marg, took 12 years to build. Prior to that, a mosque had been built at the very spot; eventually later Mughal emperor Shah Alam II gave the permission to build a gurdwara there.
The gurdwara is also home to the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee.
History The Gurdwara marks the site, where Lakhi Shah Banjara and his son Bhai Naghaiya burnt their own house to cremate the body of the Sikh guru Guru Tegh Bahadur ji who, on 11 November 1675, was beheaded in Chandni Chowk on the orders of the Mughal emperorAurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam. The spot where the Guru was beheaded is marked by Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib. The Guru's severed head was brought from Delhi to Anandpur Sahib in Punjab, by Bhai Gait and was cremated by his son, Gobind Rai, who later became Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth and last Guru of the Sikhs. The Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee is planning to build a memorial to the Sikhs killed during the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots at the site. Though the foundation stone for the memorial has been laid, the Delhi High Court is considering a petition challenging the construction of the memorial.