Following are some of the golden principles of Vastu Shastra :
1. Shape of the plot should be either rectangular or square.2. Ratio of length to width should be less than 2.
3. Doors facing south are not at all advisable.
4. House next to temple or grave-yard should be avoided.
5. All doors and windows facing east and north should be kept open in daytime whereas those facing south and west should be kept closed when not in use.
6. Try to avoid seller in your premises.
7. No one should sleep and seat under beam of iron.
8. The head of the family or couple’s bedroom should be on southwest corner of the building.
9. While sleeping head should be kept in south or west direction.
10. One should use light colors for Bedroom walls, bed-sheets, and nightdress.
11. The seating arrangement in drawing room should be such that person seating faces either north or east only.
12. South, west or southwest directions are advisable for electronic instruments and apparatus.
13. Important cupboards should be kept in such a way that the person opening it should face south direction.
14. Mandir or puja room should be kept in northeast. One should seat facing east when praying, and, should use silver utensils and wear silk dress.
15. Kitchen should be kept in southeast or in northwest only. Person should face east or north when cooking.
16. Everybody should face east or north while eating.
Everything that exists in the universe, including our bodies, is made of five elements. These five elements are earth (geomagnetic energy), water (gravitational energy), fire (solar energy), air (wind energy) and space (cosmic radiation). These forces have a powerful influence on us, as well as the environment. Vastu is the science of arranging our man-made environments so that we are in alignment with these forces of nature. If we are not aligned with solar and geomagnetic forces we may experience illness, misfortune and struggle. It is as if we are attempting to swim against the current of a river.
The east is the source of solar, ultra-violet rays, and the north is the source of magnetic energy. We benefit by keeping our environment open to these life supporting energies. The harmful infrared rays, which come from the south, and the destructive gamma rays, coming from the west, cause disruption within the environment and our bodies. Using the principles of Vastu Shastra, we protect ourselves from these rays.
Each of these elements is associated with a particular direction: water in the northeast, fire in the southeast, earth in the southwest, air in the northwest and space in the center. By balancing these elements in their proper proportions, we will gain the benefits of health, happiness and prosperity.
The basic principles of balancing the five elements apply throughout the world. By using the principles of this science, buildings can be designed to harmonize with the different climatic conditions of each region.