Takhat Shri Kesh Garh Sahib is the central place of Shri Anandpur Sahib. This revered place is birthplace of Khalsa Revelation of Khalsa took place here. It was here on March 30th, 1699 that a very large gathering of Sikhs had arrived at Anandpur Sahib as per Guru Gobind Singhs instructions.
The sactum centorium is one of the Five Temporal Authorities (Five Takhats) of Sikhism.
After the establishment of Shri Anandpur Sahib, Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji used to hold congregations on this hill. At that time, this hill was 10.0 – 14.50 meters higher than it is now. By the side of this hill there stood another hill known as “Tambu Wali Phari” because a special tent was set up on the day of “Revelation of Khalsa”. This hill does not exist anymore.
On the day of “Revelation of Khalsa” a special congregations was held here. Thousands of Sikhs attended it, one can presume how much was the space around Thakat Shri Kesh Garh Sahib from the fact that all the Sikhs must have seated themselves here at the time of congregations on this hill.